The Evolution of HODL
Jul 19, 2021
Do you know what it means to HODL? It should come as no surprise that the cryptocurrency community has its own vernacular. A set of terms, phrases, and acronyms, that signify types of market movements, trading strategies, and more. Perhaps the most famous word of them all, HODL, had its roots during the early days of Bitcoin and cryptocurrency.
Where did HODL come from?
HODL began as a typo in 2013. Originally part of a hastily written message by BitcoinTalk member, GameKyuubi, HODL marked the beginning of the crypto language we’re coming to terms with. In reference to the cryptocurrency market movement at the time, GameKyuubi’s post said:
“I AM HODLING”
Not just a typo
Since then, the term HODL has taken on a life of its own. What started as a typo, has become the term for a long-term trading strategy, and so much more. Since that timely typo, more terms have come along to join the cryptocurrency lexicon. These include: BUIDL, Whale, To The Moon, Forking, and others.
What does it mean to HODL?
As a trading strategy, HODL has been adopted as a long-term practice. Holding on to their cryptocurrency, rather than exposing it to trades or selling it, HODLers are long-term cryptocurrency holders. Rather than focusing on short-term trading, HODLers actively seek to build and keep their cryptocurrency, riding out market volatility and holding on tight to their crypto. As the world of cryptocurrency has expanded, HODL has become associated with the term “Hold On for Dear Life.”
When do you HODL?
If you’re a HODLer, you’re committed to your cryptocurrency for the long term. The trading strategy of HODLing is most often seen in a bear market, or during times of extreme crypto market volatility.
HODL and SODL
Whether you HODL or SODL (sell), your cryptocurrency, MEX Digital is here to help, as you enjoy your cryptocurrency trading journey. Augment your cryptocurrency trading experience with MEX Digital and its signature:
- Simplicity: MEX Digital is simple to use and makes executing your trades simple. You can buy cryptoassets through various methods including bank transfers and debit/credit cards.
- Compliance: MEX Digital is a highly regulated Cryptocurrency Exchange, and is regulated by the Australian Securities Investment Commission (ASIC) through a Corporate Authorised arrangement (AFSL 416279). This falls under AFS Representative Number 001285048 and is registered with the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) for trading digital assets as a Digital Currency Exchange (DCE).
MultiBank FX International Corporation trading as MEX Digital (Company No. 1377324) is regulated by the Financial Services Commission (FSC SIBA/L/14/1068) of the British Virgin Islands (BVI) which facilitates our Leveraged products.
- Security: Backed by world-class security, MEX Digital enables you to execute your trades with confidence. Crypto wallets are monitored around the clock to ensure excellent security and compliance at every turn.
- Cost-Effectiveness: MEX Digital offers you competitive trading fees and spreads. It’s true: MEX Digital offers some of the lowest fees in the crypto markets.
- Liquidity: MEX Digital gives you direct access to the most liquid cryptocurrency market in the world.
- Opportunities: MEX Digital helps you discover new opportunities to HODL or SODL, with several trading pairs available.
- Top Cryptocurrencies: MEX Digital lets you trade in Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ripple (XRP), Litecoin (LTC), and more.
- Always-On Assistance: MEX Digital provides you with 24/7 Customer Support.
Start your cryptocurrency journey with MEX Digital. Remember, proper diligence and sound judgement should be used in evaluating the risks associated with these activities.
(Trading cryptocurrency carries significant risk and losses can exceed deposits. Refer to our T&Cs and disclosure material.)